Sindhudurg is situated on the shore of Malvan town of Sindhudurg District in the Konkan region of Maharashtra, south of Mumbai. It was built in 1664 by Maratha king Shivaji. The fort is spread over 48 acres with a two-mile long rampart, and walls that are 30 feet high and 12 feet thick. The massive walls were designed to serve as a deterrent to approaching enemies and to the waves and tides of the Arabian Sea. The main entrance is concealed in such a way that no one can pinpoint it from outside.